Skip to main content
COM Admissions general # to apply

Counseling Dept. 1-415-485-9432  
Alexandra Magallenes – Counselor (Bi-lingual) – 485-9320
English-As-A-Second Language Counselor, Karen Robinson, 485-9642
Vocational/Technical Counselor, Letta Hlavacheck, 457-8811 x8129
Transfer Counseling, 485-9432
Testing Office, Patricia Torres, 485-9469

Santa Rosa JC Admissions  (For transfer information, go to main website, click on student services, click articulation.)  Counseling Dept – 1-707-527-4448 John Daly, Counselor, 1-707-524-1557, English-As-A-Second-Language Counselor, Filomina Iviola, 1-707-522-2790, Karin Guzman, 1-707-527-4882,  $800-1,400 Doyle Scholarship available for vocational/technical training and general education/transfer programs. Priority deadline, 3/1/03 High school GPA (grade point average) 2.5GPA or better for tech, 3.0GPA for transfer program. The Doyle Trustee Award is available to those who do not qualify for either of the above two scholarships and you need to be nominated by your counselor. This can be submitted from early May –July 15th. Tell your counselor you want to be nominated.

Community Colleges

California Community or Junior Colleges have an open door policy,

Admissions Requirements:

          You may attend any of the 114 California Community Colleges (CCC) if you have a high school diploma/GED. You are admitted regardless of your age, prior course work, or grades. If you do not have a high school diploma, you are admitted if:

               a.  you are eighteen years of age or older, or

               b.  you have successfully passed the Calif High School Prificiency Exam, or

               c.  you have successfully passed the GED (General Education Development Exam) You can receive help from the junior college or adult education to obtain your GED.


If you are currently in high school and would like to attend a CCC, you may do so, so please refer to the Concurrent Enrollment section for more information.  


Undocumented Students Who Are Eligible As AB 540 Students: if you have attended California high schools for 3-4 years and graduated or attended California high schools for 3-4 years and obtained your GED (high school diploma equivalency) you are considered an AB 540 student. This means that you can pay the same in-state-tuition as if you were a citizen or documented resident at  all of our California public colleges and universities (Community or Junior Colleges, Calif State Universities and the University of California campuses).


Visit the website or for information about the California Community Colleges.  If interested just in Northern California community colleges, refer to


For transfer information from a community college to other California four year schools, go to

If you are considering an out of state junior college you can do a google query or refer to the College and Career Center reference books with all US 2 year schools.


Check the financial aid section of each community college to see what specific scholarships may be available for documented and undocumented students for the campus in general and within your chosen area of study.

Concurrent Enrollment at COM

If you are interested in taking a College of Marin class while enrolled in high school, please make sure you complete the following tasks. Classes are free while you are in high school although you will need to pay for books and supplies.

  1. Figure out what course you would like to take.

  2. You must apply to COM

  3. Please be sure to complete the CCP form (College Credit Program). You can either download it or pick one up in the College and Career Center.

  4. Schedule to take a placement exam at COM, if you are deciding to take a Math or English course. You can call to schedule an appointment with the Assessment and Testing Center (415) 485-9469.

  5. Attend an Orientation at COM. You will be able to meet with a College of Marin Counselor to get the final signature needed to complete CCP form. Please be sure to turn in CCP form to the Student Center at COM.

  6. Enroll in the desired course.

For any assistance, please stop by the College and Career Center.

Applying Senior Year
  1. COM and SRJC each visit SRHS in the fall to give out general information about their schools and their admissions process.
  2. They return in early spring to give out more specific information about the registration process.
  3. COM  and SRJC will administer math and English Placement Tests at SRHS in March for students who plan to attend either school Sign-up in the CCC or Counseling Dept. You will need to contact the other specific junior college that you plan to attend for testing and orientation information.
  4. Approximately 2 weeks after the Placement Test, students fill out an online application  (,  OR and sign-up for an orientation to help them understand the process of registering for classes.
  5. You will be assigned a student ID # which should be recorded where it will not be lost. This will be used suring your entire junior college career.
Admission Requirements

To be admitted to a California community college, one must complete the registration procedures established by that college and meet one of the following qualifications:

  •  Have a high school diploma or equivalent. (Some schools provide free assistance in obtaining your GED if you did not graduate from high school)
  • Be 18 years of age or older, and able to profit from instruction.
  • Be concurrently enrolled in high school.
Student Services

 Most colleges provide:

·         List of housing available in the community.
·         Information and assistance regarding grants, loans and scholarships.
·         Educational and personal counseling, tutoring.
·         Assistance in obtaining employment, on and off campus.
·         Special advice and assistance for veterans.


Many colleges provide tutoring services for students needing special help. Some colleges have dormitories. These colleges are: Butte, Columbia, Feather River, Kings River, Lassen, College of the Redwoods, Santa Rosa, Shasta, Sierra, College of the Siskiyous, Taft, West Hills, and Yuba. 

Transferring from Junior College to 4-year College or University

In order to take the correct classes required to transfer, it is critical that you are in communication with both your community college counselor and the school(s) that you plan to transfer to. It is difficult for community college counselors to stay abreast of all transfer requirements of  various colleges and universities therefore you should check  with the college(s) that you hope to transfer to in order to be clear about which community college courses you need to take. The number of classes needed to transfer will vary according to the college or university that you plan to transfer to. There are specific requirements for public four year schools but much more flexibility with private schools.

 Transfering from a California Community College to a 4 year  California college, go to

Check these websites for further information on transferring: