Skip to main content


Application Deadline Extended to Change Grades to Pass / No Pass for 2020-21
Posted 10/1/21

Dear San Rafael City Schools High School Community,

Earlier this school year, we sent messages about California’s Assembly Bill 104, which permits high school students to replace any grade earned for any high school course during last school year - the 2020-21 school year - with a grade of Pass/No Pass. We are happy to share that the State is allowing districts to extend the deadline to apply for grade changes - the new application deadline for SRCS is Monday, November 1, 2021The application is linked here and is posted on your school’s website and Paper copies of the application are also available in your school’s front office.

Here are a few reminders and important notes:

  • There is no limit on the number of grades earned by a student during the 2020-21 school year only that can be changed to a Pass/No Pass. This does not apply to grades for the current 2021-22 school year. 

  • The change will not negatively impact a student’s GPA for the 2020-21 school year. 

  • A student aged 18 and older or parent/guardian of a minor student may apply for a grade from the 2020-21 school year to be changed to Pass / No Pass. 

  • If you submitted an application for a grade change by the Aug. 15 deadline, the requested grade/s should have been updated. Please contact your student's School Counselor if you are unsure as to whether or not your request was processed.

  • Grade Change process details:

    • A grade of D- or higher may be changed to a Pass. A grade of F may be changed to a No Pass. A No Pass grade does not earn any credits.

    • A Pass grade will earn the number of credits designed for the course.

    • An Incomplete cannot be changed to a Pass. If you wish to have a grade of Incomplete changed to a No Pass, please complete the grade change application. 

    • Pass/No Pass grades will not be calculated into the student’s grade point average (GPA).

    • A Pass grade will count towards fulfilling graduation requirements.

    • Once a grade has been changed to Pass/ No Pass it may not be reversed.

Universities: The California State University and University of California systems will accept a grade of Pass during the 2020-21 year for purposes of admitting students. However, private colleges and universities may not accept a grade of Pass in place of a letter grade. View the CDE’s list of post-secondary institutions that WILL accept Pass/ No Pass on a transcript.

If you have any questions about if this may be beneficial, please reach out to your child’s school counselor or administrator. Again, here is the link for the grade change application, which must be submitted by the new deadline of Nov. 1.


Jim Hogeboom