Math Department Objectives:
To identify best practices, instructional software, use of technology and instructional strategies to improve student achievement toward the Mathematics Standards, focusing on differentiated instruction within a heterogenous classroom.
Why the Objective was selected: This is an ongoing objective originally selected so that every member of the department is aware of and using all appropriate resources to enhance their mathematics instruction for all students.
How Objective relates to the standards and their school vision / ESLRs/ direction: It directly supports the teaching of the Mathematics Standards and aligns our school vision / ESLRs / direction to improve student achievement.
Activities to meet Objective:
- Implement use of Bookette Assessment as part of comprehensive review for final exams in all Algebra classes.
- Implement EPGY Outline basic skills intervention as part of Math Review as appropriate.
- Staff Development on differentiating instruction specific to math.
Mathematics Department Policy regarding Homework and Make-up Work
Homework reinforces principles, skills, concepts, and information taught in the classroom. The following is the Mathematics department policy on communication around Homework and Make-up work.
1. All teachers will post most of the major assignments and important dates (Tests/Projects) on School Loop, either on the class calendar, notes, or locker.
2. All teachers will reply promptly to emails regarding assignments and make-up work. If a student is out for an extended period of time or the class activity is not something that can be done at home the teacher may assign an alternate assignment.
3. For any other situations (extended absence or extenuating circumstance) math teachers should be contacted via email tomake special arrangements.